Monday, June 2, 2014

Welcome to my blog and my first post!  While I can't promise that you will find anything earth shattering here, you will get a glimpse of who I am, what I do, and what makes me ME.  I hope you at least find it enjoyable and often amusing.

For starters, I am currently enrolled in the Doctor of Education in Professional Leadership with an emphasis in Health Science Education at UH and just completed my 2nd full semester.  If all goes as planned, I will complete the program in August 2015, at which time my friends will continue to call me Trevor but I will insist that my (few) enemies refer to me as Dr. Burt.  :-)  I have found this to be an excellent program with a phenomenal cohort of health-related professionals representing all major institutions within the Texas Medical Center and a few from outside of the TMC.  The collaborative discussions and team approach to learning has been exceptional and I've found that despite being in different disciplines, we tend to all deal with similar issue and opportunities for improving education at our respective institutions.

Professionally, I am about to complete my 8th year as Director of Education Administration at Houston Methodist Hospital (formerly The Methodist Hospital).  My day-to-day requirement consist of administrative responsibilities as they relate to the 40+ residency and fellowship programs at HMH.  I am also responsible for the rotating learner program for students and other learners entering into our 7 hospital system institutions. Although not directly involved in education in my current role, I am intrigued by the opportunities that I have to impact education on a global level at Methodist and am encouraged by what I am learning to eventually work with our clinical education leaders to continue to make this a wonderful learning environment.

Prior to Methodist, I held positions at M. D. Anderson, Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital, and UTMB in Galveston.  In 2005, I received my MS in Human Relations and Business from Amberton University.  However, I am a die-hard, devoted Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 1995 in Community Health Education.  I have been fortunate in my professional career to have been associated with so many fine institutions.

So, now you know the professional aspects of who I am.  However, my life is at home with my wife of 13 years, 3 wonderful and smart children, and 2 year old dog.  I am extremely proud of my family and come from a very large extended family in Bryan, TX.  My maternal great grandparents immigrated from Sicily and my father's parents are from Texas/Oklahoma.  I was born on an Air Force base in Chicksands, England, moved back with my parents a few weeks after, and have lived in Texas ever since (don't plan on leaving, either).

I look forward to reading about all of you and look forward to learning together.

P.S. The title of the blog is based on one of my favorite songs by Jackson Browne, but also signifies what I am always doing considering working full time, going to school, and most importantly raising a family!



No comments:

Post a Comment